Friday, November 28, 2008

Thanksgiving: A Review

The NYT had an article on Wednesday about how to run your Thanksgiving Dinner like a CEO (“'It starts with asking yourself, as the Thanksgiving chief architect, what is your vision for this day and this meal,' said Amy Edmondson, the Novartis Professor of Leadership and Management at Harvard Business School. ") If I manage at work the way I did the dinner last night...well...that explains a lot.

So the menu and the reviews:
Turkey: I tried the LATimes dry-brining recipe and let me tell you, dry-brining is the way forward. Totally juicy, totally firm/not fuzzy texture, tasty and and easy.

Mashed potatoes: An oversight. Lumpy.

Chestnut, Prune & Pancetta stuffing: Very tasty. Very good. Not good for you. Expertly executed by Executive VP of Thanksgiving, Laura.

Sunchoke Gratin: Easy and always a crowd pleaser.

Laura's Famous Pan-Roasted Brussel Sprouts: Love the little cabbagey-nuggets.

3-Day Turkey Gravy: I made the mistake of making the NYT "Turkey Gravy from Scratch" recipe. It was very good, but those are 3 days of my life I will never get back.

Rustic Apple Tarts: I almost ruined Thanksgiving with these freaking things. They sound easy, esp if you've bought the puff pastry, but there's plenty of opportunities to screw them up. Still, people were very indulgent and pretended like they liked them (after they scraped off the burnt bottom layer).

Pumpkin Spice Cake w Caramel Cream Cheese Frosting: Another star turn by Laura. I had another piece for breakfast this morning.

Wine: Laura brought a schmancy Ferrari-Carano Chardonnay which was yummy and really complimented the meal. I provided a St Supery Virtu - a white Meritage blend. That was slightly less successful.

All in all, a very enjoyable culinary outing. Pictures to come.

No comments: